Road Safe NI Newry Mourne & Down (NM&D) Committee was established in January 2016 and is a sub committee of Road Safe NI. The committee is made up of volunteers who dedicate their time to promoting road safety education and supporting individuals and families that have been affected by road crashes.
The committee meet monthly in Newry City Football Club and offer a range of free services to individuals and groups across the council district.
Road Safety Education:
- Young Drivers Enhanced Skills Course
- Senior Driver Course / Workshops
- Free Hi-Vis vest distribution
- ‘Street Smart, Road Safe’ Book distribution to primary schools (in partnership with the NM&D PCSP)
- Facilitation of road safety talks & workshops to community groups / schools / colleges.
- Delivery of safe cycling workshops to community groups.
- Facilitation of the ‘Paulie Project’ Documentary and workshop to groups / schools / colleges
- Road Safety ‘Safer Driving Project’ in partnership with Education Authority Youth Service.
- Local road safety campaigns in partnership with local community groups / schools.
- Spearhead the ‘A1, How many must Die Campaign.
- Annual Primary Schools Road Safety Poster Competition.
- Annual Primary Schools Road Safety Quiz Heat.
Support to individuals and families affected by road traffic collisions:
- Monthly Support Group Meet up. Facebook page: (14) The Road Ahead Support Group | Facebook
- Therapeutic workshops & Services.
- Annual Memorial Day for Road Victims every November on ‘World Remembrance Day for Road Victims’.
- Trauma Counselling offered to individuals affected by road traffic collisions
- Signposting and Referral Service..
- Peer Mentoring Service.
Chairperson: Nichola Cook
Treasurer: Paul O’Hare
Secretary: Marian Magill
Vice-Chair: Ciara Sands
Monthly meetings held in Newry City Football Club, Greenbank Industrial Estate, Newry